Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Crazy Life :-p

It's a good thing that John and I found each other, because most other people would not be able to put up with our lifestyle!!!

If you are reading this, you probably know that he has to bid his schedule every month. I always write his trips on the calendar in pencil because everything is, at all times, subject to change. Before he went on his last trip, either he told me wrong or I wrote it down wrong.

He went to Los Angeles on Monday, did two three-day Tokyo trips back-to-back, and was going to try to get home on Sunday. But somewhere over the Pacific Ocean, something he ate disagreed with him mightily, and so he went straight to the hotel after landing on Sunday. Slept all day, got up, had soup & gatorade, and went back to bed & slept all night. Well, until like 3am, when he got up to get to the airport for a 5:45 a.m. flight. He was home by noon on Monday, a little wrung out, but okay.

So, according to what I'd written on the calendar, I thought he was not leaving again until Tuesday. But the schedule was actually for him to leave on Saturday and get *home* on Tuesday. Oh, well, okay then.

And then last night around 9:30 pm, as we were cooking dinner, crew schedule called (as they do from time to time) and asked if he could do a Tokyo trip today. He thought about it & talked to me, called the guy back & got it set up. So we threw his uniform shirt into the wash, ate our dinner & went to bed. Got up at 6:00 & got him to the airport before 7:00. He flew to Dallas, then to Los Angeles, arriving in plenty of time to work the flight to Tokyo. He gets back to Los Angeles on Friday morning, and will be home that night.

This replaces the trip that was supposed to go out on Saturday, so now he'll be home for the weekend, and all of next week as well. Hooray!

The point is that not everyone could deal with the last-minute changes that happen all the time in our life. It's inherent in his job, as weather, mechanical problems, scheduling reassignment, or any number of things can change his plans at any time. It's like that when we travel, too, because when we travel on passes, even once we're on the plane it isn't a guarantee, they can still pull us off until the door closes. Sometimes a flight will look fine for us, but people show up from a later flight, so we get bumped. So, we look at other options. When we were coming home from Seattle this happened, we were looking at going home through St Louis and all kinds of other places, just to get home. And when we got married in Vegas, the same thing - He had to go back to Dallas without me, and I ended up going home via Chicago!

In my daily life, I make plans, but they are always fluid. I've never been punctual (a failing, I know) but I am pretty adaptable. If things aren't going to plan, I just change the plan to suit. I know that this was one of the biggest problems/irritations in my last relationship. Changing plans was NOT an easy or acceptable thing. And in John's previous, if he got reassigned or stuck somewhere, it was considered a personal affront and there was hell to pay when he did get home.

So this is just one more reason for me to say, Thank GOD we found each other!!

No comments: