I had a gallon of raw milk that I knew I'd be unable to drink all of, so I decided to make yogurt out of it. I looked up several ways to make yogurt, but they all seemed so complicated. I knew I had this recipe, and had made it successfully, when I was quite a novice cook. According to my notes, I received this recipe back in 1994 from the mother of my dear friend Theo. I know that I made it at least once back then, but I don't think I've made it since! I deviated from the recipe somewhat, but it's a very forgiving recipe. Try it!
Mrs. Economides's Yogurt Recipe
1/2 gallon milk
8oz good quality plain yogurt with live cultures
Pour milk into a large pot and bring it to a gentle boil. If you have a candy thermometer, keep temperature between 145-160 degrees. Simmer 30-60 minutes. The longer the milk is boiled, the thicker the yogurt will be.
Put the pot in a sink of cold water to cool it until it won't burn when touched.
Put half the container of yogurt into a small bowl. Stir in a little of the warm milk, then transfer the mixture back to the pot and stir. Pour into smaller containers, but do not put lids on them. Place them in a warm place*, covered with a couple of towels. Allow to set for 5-6 hours. Put lids on, let cool to room temperature on the counter, and place in refrigerator.
*A gas oven with a pilot is ideal. Or, turn on an electric oven for just under a minute, then turn it off. Place a pan of hot water in the oven under or near the yogurt, and leave the oven light on. This is also how I rise bread dough. A perfect proofing cabinet!
Enjoy!
Saturday, February 6, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I'm glad you typed up the recipe and put it here. I'm not sure if I still have my paper copy from way back then :)
Post a Comment