Monday, September 20, 2010

Gluten Free Chocolate Mug Cake

Husband's birthday is rolling around again soon, and he wants a German Chocolate Cake for it. I'm going to have a very talented pastry chef friend of ours make him one, but I wondered what I would have, as I'm totally gluten-free again now. Grain-free, in fact, for the time being. And trying to limit my general carb intake as much as I can. So I started scouring the intertubes for a gluten-free mug cake, and didn't like anything I found. They all called for too many ingredients, or one of those gluten-free baking mixes that taste kind of weird. I searched for coconut flour mug cake, but the only one I found used more rice flour than coconut. Then I thought, you know, I have a coconut flour cake recipe that I know works great, why not just chop it down and see how it comes out?? And I did, and it worked great!! So, without further ado, here is the recipe:


1 large egg
1 rounded Tablespoon coconut flour, sifted
1 rounded teaspoon cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 Tablespoons coconut oil
2 Tablespoons Grade B maple syrup
drop vanilla extract


Crack the egg into a large (12oz) heatproof coffee mug. Beat it with a fork until well combined. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir to mix thoroughly. Pop the mug into the microwave, and cook on "high" for 2.5 minutes*. Take it out and let it sit for 5 minutes, then devour! Mine pulled away from the sides of the mug, allowing me to dump it out onto a plate, but I'm sure it would be just as tasty right out of the mug! 


That's exactly how long I did mine and it was right, but as we all know, microwaves vary, so watch it and see when it's done. It rose up right at first, higher than the mug, but then it went back down into the mug, and I basically just decided it smelled done and stopped it. I touched the top, and it was firm, so took it out and let it sit, and it was just right. Oh and I know, I prefer to avoid the microwave when I can - I do suppose you could pop the mug into a regular oven and bake it - not sure how long that would take, though. 

I have a friend who has to watch his sugar intake, so I ran the statistics on the recipe, as best I could figure:
454 calories
33.8g fat (65% of calories)
33.5g carb (28% of calories)
8.0g protein (7% of calories)


The vast majority of the carbs was 26.8g sugar from the maple syrup, so I suppose you could use a fake sugar if you were a person who needed, for medical reasons, to watch the sugar intake. For me, the fat/carb balance is what I watch. 


Anyway, I'm all about the *sensible* indulgences, as Mark Sisson calls them, and this one really fit the bill! 


**Update** The second time I made this, for some reason, it was quite bitter and not nearly as tasty as the first time. I can't now remember what I did differently, but I think I eyeballed some of the measurements, so maybe I over- or under-did something. Maybe I overcooked it. I'll update again the next time I try it and post how it comes out and anything I do differently. 

No comments: