Saturday, July 23, 2011

Yet Another Grain-Free Muffin Recipe (Blueberry Muffins)

This one isn't sugar-free, and is also based on the original grain-free cake recipe. I'm pleased with how it came out, so thought I'd post it. 


Blueberry Muffins (Grain-Free)

1 cup coconut flour, sifted
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp baking soda
10 eggs, preferably room temperature
1 cup coconut oil
¾ cup raw honey, coconut palm sugar, or rapadura/sucanat
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp orange extract
1 ½ cups fresh blueberries, rinsed, and any stems removed

Preheat oven to 325°F. Grease muffin pan with coconut oil and dust lightly with coconut flour.

In a small bowl, combine flour, salt, and baking soda.

In the large bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the balloon whisk, blend eggs, oil, sugar or honey, and extracts.

Add the dry ingredients to the wet and blend.

Gently stir the blueberries into the batter.

Fill the muffin cups with batter. (Since gluten-free baked goods don’t rise as much as ones containing gluten, it’s okay to fill the cups completely.) Pop the pan into the preheated oven, and bake about 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out clean. If your pan is thin, or the cups are smaller, start checking the muffins at 20 minutes. If you are using stoneware, it may take 35 minutes. Mine came out really brown on top, because I had to bake them the full 35 minutes.

Place the whole pan on a cooling rack and allow the muffins to cool completely before removing them from the pan. In addition to being really brown on top, when I popped the first one out, I was alarmed at how *black* it was. Then I realized that was just the blueberries. I broke it open, and it was pretty perfect, studded with lovely whole blueberries! 

Enjoy!

No comments: