I had some overripe bananas that needed making into muffins, but the amount I had didn't fit an existing recipe in my arsenal, so I took two different recipes and made this one, and they were the best grain-free banana muffins I've made!
Photo tutorial of this recipe found here.
1/2c coconut flour
1c almond flour or almond meal
1/4c coconut palm sugar, sucanat, or other unrefined sweetener
1T baking powder
1tsp baking soda
1/4tsp sea salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped crispy pecans
1 1/2c puree of very ripe bananas (about 3 bananas)
1c canned, full fat, organic coconut milk
4 eggs, beaten
1 1/2tsp vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350F. Spray 24 mini muffin cups with coconut oil.
Stir the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
Mix the wet ingredients together.
Stir the wet mixture into the dry mixture, spoon into the muffin cups until almost full, and bake at 350F for about 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out clean.
Allow to cool a few minutes in the pan. Carefully slide a table knife around each muffin cup, and remove them to a rack to cool completely. Serve with plenty of grass-fed butter. Store leftovers in the fridge.
2 comments:
Do you have a brand of almond flour you recommend? I have heard they are not all alike in texture.
Hi, Rachel!
I've heard that Honeyville is the softest, whitest almond flour, that makes things much more wheat-like. I've never seen it for sale locally, and have never tried it. You can find Bob's Red Mill almond flour, but it's $14/lb - yikes! I usually just throw almonds in my food processor for almond "meal" instead. MUCH cheaper. It's coarser than almond "flour" but it works just fine for most muffin-type things. What I used in this recipe was a new thing for me - I MADE almond flour. I'll be doing a post over at the Picasa about how that was done, but it was the dehydrated meal left over from making almond milk, via this recipe: http://everydaypaleo.com/2012/07/11/homemade-almond-milk/
I think that in this recipe, any version of almond flour or meal will work, it will just change the texture of the finished product slightly.
Post a Comment